Skip to main content

[Book Summary] Butterfly—Yusra Mardini

Rating: ★★★

I watched the movie The Swimmers earlier in 2023. Then I bumped into this audiobook. I immediately borrowed it from the library. By the way, the movie is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

When I first watched the movie, I was deeply touched. I know someone in my life is as tough as Yusra, or even tougher. But the movie skipped a lot of details that are only revealed in the book.

For example, the movie didn't mention the part where Sarah and Yusra put on makeup and hung out with their friend. I was shocked that they didn't try to take shelter and stay away from the bombs. However, there were people partying when COVID-19 hit in the first place. When you can't see the contour of the future, you may question what life is all about. What is the end all be all of this?

Another example is that Yusra had a fight with Sven who was her coach, friend, sports agent, etc. She thought she would do better in America instead of Germany. I couldn't help but laugh when I hear that. Sven helped her find a place to stay and an opportunity to train, stay away from the "noisy" refugee camp which she claimed wasn't good for her, get back to school and scholarship, etc. Even negotiate with the government so that her family's immigration case was pulled out and processed much earlier before she turned 18. Not to mention helping her get a chance to stand in the Olympics.

Even if Sven did so much for her just because his family helps people, she was throwing a tantrum that she wanted to swim for Syria instead of ROT (Refugee Olympics Team). If I were Sven, I would probably have walked away. Nonetheless, she was 17 back then. Wasn't I a self-centered and self-important little jerk back then?

Oh, let me share a fun fact. In Syria, ice cream is called Booza. However, in Iraq, they don't say Buaza even though they speak Arabic. Here is some more information about Booza on Wiki.

Check out the author's Instagram below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(一)找合作的律師事務所

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(零)名詞解釋 Petitioner vs Applicant

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(七)組裝 NIW I-140 申請文件包

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay