Skip to main content

[Book Summary] When Women Ruled the World—Kara Cooney

 Rating: ★☆☆

I hadn't specifically searched for audiobooks about Egypt until last month. 

I met a neighbor from Egypt so I decided to know more. It was jaw-dropping to hear the ceremony in Dynasty One. People who could threaten the God King must die. Something similar happened in the time of Confucious, since the Qin Dynasty.

"Sometimes it's better for everyone to have a strong woman to tell you what to do." 

I learned that women can be tougher sometimes than men though not always. And it's unlikely for anything to always happen.

It's amazing to hear what the Greatest female leader Hatshepsut in Dynasty Eighteen had to go to through to secure her kingship. No wonder she is deemed a super idol by my neighbor.

However, this book compares the political circumstance in the United States with the ones in ancient Egypt, which leads to some complaints in Amazon reviews. I personally intended to fast forward when I heard the section.

Lastly, the author's logic/description doesn't seem consistent. In the earlier chapters, she said the female leaders were only given the chance to lead when Egypt was in a downturn. Nonetheless, in the epilogue, she suggests that Egypt can accept and choose a female leader and we should learn from them. The tone and attitude don't seem consistent.

By the way, gender shouldn't be a factor when valuing competence. Look at Liz Truss and Tsai Ing-wen. A warrior ran away in 40 days and a leader keeps pushing Taiwan to war. (Of course, I know there are horrible male leaders which is why I say gender shouldn't be a factor.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(一)找合作的律師事務所

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(零)名詞解釋 Petitioner vs Applicant

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(七)組裝 NIW I-140 申請文件包

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay