Skip to main content

[Book Summary] Atlas of the Heart: Mapping Meaningful Connection and the Language of Human Experience—Brené Brown

Rating: ★★★

"You are afraid of surrender because you don't want to lose control. But you never had control; all you had was anxiety."

 A quote from Elizabeth Gilbert who wrote Eat, Pray, Love. Her Instagram is below. By the way, Thank you for bringing me to know Elizabeth Gilbert, Brené Brown! 💜

"Desirable difficulty. Comfortable learning environment rarely leads to deep learning."

 I can attest to this. Either professional or philosophical, I have made the most progress when the difficulty is conquerable once I stretch myself to the limit.

"Hope is triology of goals, pathways, and agency (you)."

Setting a goal is not hard (staying in the United States in my case). Pathways are not hard to find, either (H-1B, diversity-based GC, marriage, Ph.D. study, etc.). The most challenging part is keeping a firm belief in the agency (myself).

When your belief in the agency is shaken, seek the power of resilience. 

To practice resilience, think about Martin Seligman's 3Ps: personalization, permanence, and pervasiveness. Personalization: we forget that there are outside factors at play in our struggles. Permanence: a feeling that the struggle is "Mugen" or unlimited blinds us that tomorrow can be different from today. Pervasiveness: we feel like everything that we cherish is destroyed or doesn't matter anymore.

"Our fear of being hurt can actually push us to show up in ways that increase the certainty that we'll be hurt."

Sounds like The Attractor Factor, does it? [Book Summary] The Attractor Factor—Joe Vitale

This description is about joy but the author's child used "happiness" instead.

"I'm just making a picture memory. A picture memory is a picture I take with my mind when I'm really really happy. So when I'm feeling sad, scared, or lonely, I can look at it."

I take video memory when I'm in pure joy. When I close my eyes, I can see the action and hear the sound. And quietly waiting for the next encounter, which I believe from the bottom of my heart will happen.

Check out the author's Instagram!

View this profile on Instagram

Brené Brown (@brenebrown) • Instagram photos and videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(一)找合作的律師事務所

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(零)名詞解釋 Petitioner vs Applicant

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(七)組裝 NIW I-140 申請文件包

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay