Skip to main content

[Book Summary] HONOR—Thrity Umrigar

Rating: ★

I didn't realize what this book is when I placed a hold on it. I didn't even know it's a novel until I started my listening journey. 

The author Thrity Umrigar described a cross-religion marriage between a Hindu family and an Muslim family which ended in a tragedy. How much I hoped that it's just a novel. Nonetheless, my Indian colleague confirmed with me that similar things happened in rural India. I was in shock.

In this book, an Indian American journalist Smita, who has a comfy apartment in Brooklyn, flew back to India to take care of a friend. She had to face the country that she ran away from since she was a child.

As she investigated the murder case of Meena's husband with help from Mohan, a diamond merchant's son, she found herself entangled into a complex cultural and emotional vortex which suffocated her rational mind to make a decision.

There is one thing that Smita said after one of her interviewing that I found resonating. I'm quoting it here.

The innocent always pays for the sins of the guilty.

Would Smita help Meena found justice? What does the book title HONOR mean? I highly recommend you check out this book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(一)找合作的律師事務所

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(零)名詞解釋 Petitioner vs Applicant

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay

[申辦綠卡] EB-2 NIW 國家利益豁免綠卡申請教學(七)組裝 NIW I-140 申請文件包

Image by  David Peterson  from  Pixabay